Hello! I am a concept artist/illustrator currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I work as a lead concept artist at MZ, developing concept design, illustration, and marketing materials for games such as Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, Mobile Strike, and Game of War. You can reach me at Greg@ArtbyGregThorne.com.
Lead Concept Artist, June 2015 – present
· Managing a team of 5-7 artists; finding and recruiting talent.
· Tasking artists, writing assignments, providing feedback, compiling reference and styleguides.
· Helping to build and support an internal cinematics team; helping establish standards and practices.
· Helping drive the look of ad campaigns for top-grossing IPs such as Final Fantasy, Mobile Strike, and Game of War.
· Fulfilling various art needs including illustration, concept art, storyboarding, matte painting and gameplay mock-up.
Art Director, February 2005 - June 2015
· Directed on-site and off-site artists (outsource management).
· Compiled mood boards, style guides, and visual development materials.
· Managed projects, budgeted resources, upheld client relations.
· Helped create ads for well-known IPs including Half-Life, Farcry, Battlefield, and Hellgate: London
· Designed characters, creatures, environments, and vehicles for games.
· Created matte paintings for television
High 5 Games
Illustrator, February 2013 - November 2013
· Designed and executed complete 2D art packages for online games
· Developed user interface graphics
· Worked closely with animators, preparing 2D artwork for animation.
· Worked closely with engineers, ensuring artwork displayed properly in game prototypes
Illustrator, January 2011 - November 2011
· Illustrated in many styles and genres for t-shirts and merchandise.
· Designed and pre-visualized toys and similar merchandise.
· Worked with well-known IP including DC Comics, Mortal Kombat, Masters of the Universe, and The Walking Dead.
Freelance Concept Artist / Illustrator, January 2004 - February 2005
· Designed characters, environments, and creatures for games and gaming websites.
· Provided illustrations for various entertainment products, colored comic books, created artwork for t-shirts.
Rhode Island School of Design
· Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting, class of 2002
· Studied business, marketing, leadership, and art fundamentals
· Supplemental Education:
- Character design mentorship with Anthony Jones, concept artist
- Concept art mentorship with Thomas Scholes, concept artist
- Concept art workshop with Shaddy Safadi and Eytan Zana, concept artists
- Environment design course with Phil Dimitriadis, concept artist
- Dynamic sketching course with Peter Han, concept artist
- Continuing education course at School of Visual Arts with Tristan Elwell, illustrator
- Grand Central Academy, classicist atelier
- Figure Drawing with Colleen Barry
- Portrait Drawing with Will St. John
- Cast Drawing with Justin Wood
- Private atelier study with Andy Reiss, classicist painter
· Adobe Photoshop (Expert)
· Pixologic Zbrush (Intermediate)
· Trimble Sketchup (Intermediate)