Hello! I am a concept artist/illustrator currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I work as a lead concept artist at MZ, creating designs, illustrations and related marketing materials for games such as Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, Mobile Strike, and Game of War. You can reach me at Greg@ArtbyGregThorne.com.
Lead Concept Artist, June 2015 - present
MZ is the Global Leader in Free-to-Play Mobile Games. We create the world’s largest and most successful, real-time, massively multiplayer online games. Our mobile games are consistently top ranked in the Apple App Store, Google Play and Amazon Appstore and have been downloaded and played by hundreds of millions around the world.
Concept Artist, February 2005 - present
Luminous Arts has contributed artwork to dozens of games and entertainment products. Direct clients include The Electric Sheep company, ILL Clan Animation studioes, and Alderac Entertainment Group. Clients which Luminous Arts has subcontracted for include Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, and Valve.
- Designing characters, creatures, environments, and vehicles for games
- Illustrating for in-game assets, table-top games, t-shirts, and similiar entertainment products
- Creating user interface graphics for games and web
- Art directing on-site and off-site artists (outsource management)
- Compiling mood boards, style guides, and visual development materials
- Managing projects, budgeting resources, client relations
High 5 Games
Illustrator, February 2013 - November 2013
Developing for the land-based and social casino games markets, H5G has created hundreds of games that are played on six continents and in nearly 50 countries. H5G's games are known for their unique style and engaging gameplay, and they regularly lead the industry in both performance and popularity.
- Designing and executed compete 2D are packages for unique slot games
- Conceptualized and illustrated specialized user interface graphics
- Took the role of lead artist as required
- Worked closely with animators, preparing all 2D artwork for animation
- worked closely with engineers, ensuring all artwork displayed properly in prototypes
Illustrator, January 2011 - November 2011
For over 30 years, Changes has lead the printed t-shirt industry with over three billion dollars of product sold at retail to date. Incorporating pop-culture with strong graphics with the hottest trends, Changes creates products of genuine self-expression. With major distribution centers in New York, Toronto and London, Changes merchandise can be found in all levels of retail around the world.
- Illustrated in many styles and genres for t-shirts and similar merchandise
- Designed toys and similar merchandise
- Worked with well-known properties including DC Comics, Mortal Kombat, Masters of the Universe, and the Walking Dead.
- Provided sketches, iterations, and concept art to help pre-visualize products
Rhode Island School of Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting, class of 2002
- foundation art courses, 1997-1999
- Mentorship program with Anthony Jones, concept artist
- Mentorship program with Thomas Scholes, concept artist
- Classical drawing studies at The Grand Central Academy of Art
- Classical Drawing studies at The Teaching Studios of Art
- Private atelier study with Andrew Reiss, classicist painter
- Evening class at The School of Visual Arts, with Tristan Elwell, illustrator
- Online class with Peter Han, concept artist
- Online class with Phil Dimitriadis, concept artist and 3D modeller.
- Adobe Photoshop (10+ years)
- Trimble Sketchup (3+ years)
- Pixologic Zbrush (less than 1 year)
- Sourcegear Vault (1 year)