Hello! I am a concept artist/illustrator currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I work as a lead concept artist at MZ, developing concept design, illustration, and marketing materials for games such as Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, Mobile Strike, and Game of War. You can reach me at Greg@ArtbyGregThorne.com.
Lead Concept Artist, Marketing Art and Cinematics June 2015 - present
MZ is the Global Leader in Free-to-Play Mobile Games. MZ creates the world’s largest and most successful, real-time, massively multiplayer online games. Our mobile games are consistently top ranked in the Apple App Store, Google Play and Amazon Appstore and have been downloaded and played by hundreds of millions around the world.
- Fulfilling various art needs including illustration, concept art, storyboarding, and matte painting
- Helping drive the look of ad campaigns for top-grossing IPs such as Final Fantasy, Mobile Strike, and Game of War
- Managing a team of 5-7 artists; finding and recruiting talent.
- Tasking artists, writing assignments, providing feedback, compiling reference and styleguides
- Curating the team's work product and maintaining quality control of team's output
- Helping to build and support an internal cinematics team; helping to establish standards and practices
Art Director, February 2005 - June 2015
Luminous Arts has contributed artwork to dozens of games and entertainment products. Direct clients include The Electric Sheep company, ILL Clan Animation studios, and Alderac Entertainment Group. Clients which Luminous Arts has subcontracted for include Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, and Valve.
- Designed characters, creatures, environments, and vehicles for games
- Illustrated for in-game assets, table-top games, t-shirts, and similar entertainment products
- Created user interface graphics for games and web
- Art directed on-site and off-site artists (outsource management)
- Compiled mood boards, style guides, and visual development materials
- Managed projects, budgeted resources, upheld client relations
High 5 Games
Illustrator, February 2013 - November 2013
Developing for the land-based and social casino games markets, H5G has created hundreds of games that are played on six continents and in nearly 50 countries. H5G's games are known for their unique style and engaging gameplay, and they regularly lead the industry in both performance and popularity.
- Designed and executed complete 2D art packages for unique slot games
- Conceptualized and illustrated specialized user interface graphics
- Fulfilled the role of lead artist on occasion
- Worked closely with animators, preparing all 2D artwork for animation
- Worked closely with engineers, ensuring all artwork displayed properly in prototypes
Illustrator, January 2011 - November 2011
For over 30 years, Changes has lead the printed t-shirt industry with over three billion dollars of product sold at retail to date. Incorporating pop-culture with strong graphics with the hottest trends, Changes creates products of genuine self-expression. With major distribution centers in New York, Toronto and London, Changes merchandise can be found in all levels of retail around the world.
- Illustrated in many styles and genres for t-shirts and similar merchandise
- Designed toys and similar merchandise
- Worked with well-known properties including DC Comics, Mortal Kombat, Masters of the Universe, and the Walking Dead.
- Provided sketches, iterations, and concept art to help pre-visualize products
Freelance Concept Artist / Illustrator, January 2004 - February 2005
- Designed characters, environments, and creatures for games and gaming websites
- Provided illustrations for various entertainment products
- Colored comic books
- Created artwork for t-shirts
Rhode Island School of Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting, class of 2002
- foundation art courses, 1997-1999
- Mentorship program with Anthony Jones, concept artist
- Mentorship program with Thomas Scholes, concept artist
- Classical drawing studies at The Grand Central Academy of Art
- Classical Drawing studies at The Teaching Studios of Art
- Private atelier study with Andrew Reiss, classicist painter
- Evening class at The School of Visual Arts, with Tristan Elwell, illustrator
- Online class with Peter Han, concept artist
- Online class with Phil Dimitriadis, concept artist and 3D modeller.
- Adobe Photoshop (Expert)
- Pixologic Zbrush (Intermediate)
- Trimble Sketchup (Intermediate)